Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Variety and Creativity

     Athletics or any sort of physical activity can lose its luster when it becomes overly monotonous. Just this threat of deadly repetition and boredom in workouts can quickly cause us to run as fast as we can away from a fitness program of any sort. Actually, that doesn’t work. It causes us to drive our cars as fast as we can because we hate running at this point (but not for long, right?). Variety and creativity in  personal workouts can really help to mitigate those feelings of dread which overwhelm us when we think about doing laps somewhere or using the same weight machines week after week. I am quite possibly one of the least creative people in the world, which has made my pursuit of interesting workouts not necessarily easy. However, it has absolutely helped me to look forward to my athletic activities much more as  I know that I will not be doing the same thing today that I did last Tuesday. Being in college, you often do not have tons of spare time to travel to exotic locations for an exciting workout, but I promise that there are some great options within your reach. Take some time to think about it with your big college brain, and don’t run at the track four days a week. Don’t do the same workout in the pool every other day. For some people, I will even say don’t work out with the same person all the time. I will admit that some people are totally fine with doing the laps and repetition and thoroughly enjoy it, but for most who are just trying to get back into the rhythm, it can be draining and annoying.
     So how do I find alternatives to these standard workouts?
     Hmmm Google.com. “Good places to run in Orange County,” “Fun workout centers in San Francisco,” “Spots for open water swimming  in San Diego,” “City soccer leagues in LA area.” Whew, all that typing wiped me out. No not really, it’s quite easy. I can guarantee that there are some great workout spots in your area that you are unaware of (but Google can find them without straining too much). So take a look, find some variety. Woah there, why are you about to close your web browser just because you’re almost done reading this post? Click for a new tab, and go find a new workout spot.
     You can be very athletic and very college (you know what I mean) at the same time, but if you are bored out of your mind with your workout routine, you will not last long. Change things up and break the slump!

No comments:

Post a Comment